Water Service Frequently Asked Questions

Please call 811

Please note, the City of Lowell is not part of the 811 program at this time. To have City of Lowell water/sewer lines located, please call 704-824-3518, option 1 for customer service.

What is 811?

811 is the national call-before-you-dig phone number. Anyone who plans to dig should call 811 or go to their state 811 center’s website before digging to request that the approximate location of buried utilities be marked with paint or flags so that you don’t unintentionally dig into an underground utility line.

When do I call 811?

You should call 811 or use your state 811 center’s website a few business days before you begin any digging, including common projects like planting trees and shrubs or installing fences and mailboxes. The specific amount of advance notice that you are required to provide varies by state.

What info do I need before calling 811?

You will need to know the address of where you plan to dig, including the county and nearest cross street, as well as the type of project you’re completing and the exact area on the property where you’re planning to dig. Whether you call 811 or make your request online, you’ll need the same info.

After I call 811, what do I do?

Please call the City of Lowell at 704-824-3518, option 1 to locate water/sewer lines because the City of Lowell is not part of 811 at this time. Please allow both the City of Lowell and the 811 program a few days to allow all utilities companies to respond to your request and ensure that all utilities have indeed responded to your request before breaking ground.

Once all utilities have marked their buried lines, you should dig carefully around any utility marks and consider relocating projects that are close to buried utilities.

(Call 811 – Know what’s below. Call before you dig.)

Check out our troubleshooting page for low water pressure.

After troubleshooting, if you are still having water pressure issues, please call City Hall at 704-824-3518, option 1.

Customers can start or terminate services in-person at City Hall or online.

Please visit our online bill pay page or call City Hall at 704-824-3518, option 1 for water bill information.

Services are disconnected on the 25th of the month. If the 25th falls on a holiday or weekend, then services are disconnected on the next business date. Disconnections start at 8:00 am and a $50 delinquent fee is added to all accounts delinquent at 8:00 am on the 25th of the month.

  • Turn off any water appliances (washing machines, dishwasher) that are on. If this stops the backup, contact a plumber.
  • If the backup continues, please call 704-824-3518, select option #1 for Customer Service.
  • If the sewage backup occurs because of a blockage in a public manhole or public sewer pipe, the City of Lowell will assist. Crews will locate and remove the blockage in the public sewer main or the City maintained portion of the customer’s connection. If the backup occurs within your home or business’s private internal plumbing, however, the City cannot assume responsibility for the blockage or the necessary repairs. Contact a plumbing contractor to make any repairs.

Backwater Valve

It is possible to prevent sewage backups with a plumbing fixture called a backwater valve. Backwater valves have been required in some homes by the North Carolina State Plumbing Code since the early 1930’s. If you have plumbing fixtures that are below the top of the first upstream manhole, state regulations require that you have a backwater valve.

To find out if your property has a backwater valve or requires one, please contact a professional plumber or contractor.

  • If your home is in a geographically low point (near a creek) or near a water pumping facility, you may experience water pressure higher than 80 psi. Unfortunately, City of Lowell can’t alleviate high water pressure, but you may consider having a licensed plumber install a pressure-reducing valve at your home.
  • County building codes require pressure-reducing valves (PRVs) to be installed on new or remodeled residential plumbing where water pressure exceeds 80 psi.
  • A PRV reduces the water pressure coming into your home, if needed, to protect your plumbing much the same way that a surge protector protects your computer or television. A licensed plumber can assess your current plumbing system and recommend whether a PRV is needed for your home.
  • A clogged aerator on a faucet can slow the flow. Remove the aerator from the faucet, clean it, and put back on.
  • Consult with a plumber.
  • If you have a pressure reducing valve (PRV) installed to protect your plumbing, it may need adjusting. Most PRVs are installed after the water meter or before the water heater. Talk to a plumber before adjusting it.
  • If your water pressure suddenly drops to almost nothing…it could be a result of a broken water line.
  • Call 704-824-3518, select option #1 for Customer Service.

Taste and odor changes in your water can occur for many reasons.

Steps to take:

  • Flush cold water out of a bathtub faucet
  • Remove and clean faucet aerators
  • Detach garden hose from outside spigot (especially during hot days)
  • Check frequently asked questions for more information
  • If odor continues, call 704-824-3518, select option #1 for Customer Service

If you experience cloudy or discolored water this could be due to air in the water line. Please follow these steps:

  • Run cold water from outdoor spigots (weather permitting)
  • Flush cold water out of a bathtub faucet
  • If not able to clear water after a few minutes, remove and clean faucet aerators
  • Check frequently asked questions for more information.
  • If discoloration continues, call 704-824-3518, and select option #1 for Customer Service.
  • If your HOT water is cloudy or discolored, you may have a water heater problem. Review owner’s manual or contact a licensed plumber for advice.
Close window