Public Works Frequently Asked Questions

As part of Operation Medicine Cabinet, there are various mail-box like locked boxes throughout the county that are available 24/7. There are no questions asked and instructions for disposal are located at each location.

Gaston County residents can bring household hazardous waste to the Gaston County Landfill.

Please call 811

Please note, the City of Lowell is not part of the 811 program at this time. To have City of Lowell water/sewer lines located, please call 704-824-3518, option 1 for customer service.

What is 811?

811 is the national call-before-you-dig phone number. Anyone who plans to dig should call 811 or go to their state 811 center’s website before digging to request that the approximate location of buried utilities be marked with paint or flags so that you don’t unintentionally dig into an underground utility line.

When do I call 811?

You should call 811 or use your state 811 center’s website a few business days before you begin any digging, including common projects like planting trees and shrubs or installing fences and mailboxes. The specific amount of advance notice that you are required to provide varies by state.

What info do I need before calling 811?

You will need to know the address of where you plan to dig, including the county and nearest cross street, as well as the type of project you’re completing and the exact area on the property where you’re planning to dig. Whether you call 811 or make your request online, you’ll need the same info.

After I call 811, what do I do?

Please call the City of Lowell at 704-824-3518, option 1 to locate water/sewer lines because the City of Lowell is not part of 811 at this time. Please allow both the City of Lowell and the 811 program a few days to allow all utilities companies to respond to your request and ensure that all utilities have indeed responded to your request before breaking ground.

Once all utilities have marked their buried lines, you should dig carefully around any utility marks and consider relocating projects that are close to buried utilities.

(Call 811 – Know what’s below. Call before you dig.)

Check out our troubleshooting page for low water pressure.

After troubleshooting, if you are still having water pressure issues, please call City Hall at 704-824-3518, option 1.

Roads inside the Lowell City limits maintained by the City of Lowell with the exception of some streets.

The following streets are maintained by the North Carolina Department of Transportation:

  • McAdenville Rd.
  • W. First St
  • E. First St from the Lowell Police Department to the Post Office
  • Groves St.
  • Lineberger Rd.
  • Oakland Dr.
  • N. Main Street
  • S. Main Street
  • S. Church Street
  • Henderson Street
  • Power Drive
  • Moose Street

Lowell provides free quarterly curbside collection at residential homes of items that are too large, heavy or bulky to fit in the City garbage cart for normal garbage pickup. Please keep in mind this program is intended for pick-up of customary residential items and is not intended for removal of commercial/contractor items or remnant items from home renovation projects. There will be no brush collection during Bulk Pickup Week.

Bulk is collected by the City 4 times a year during the months of January, April, July, and October.

Bulk items may be placed at the curb any time after 5 p.m. the day before your normal trash pickup day so long as they are out by 6:30 a.m. on your pickup day. Items that are placed at the curb outside of this time frame will be subject to a solid waste fine.

Additional Information on Free Quarterly Bulk Pick-Up

The City of Lowell also offers a Pay-As-You-Throw program. More information available here.

The City of Lowell runs a brush route each week for leaves, grass, and tree limbs. The brush route will run on Wednesday and Thursday of each week (depending on where your neighborhood falls in the route rotation.)

  • Prepare your yard waste and place it on the curb by 6:30am on your pickup day.
  • The City will collect your yard waste between 6:30am and 3:30pm, unless unforeseeable circumstances occur.
  • The day for yard waste collection will be Wednesday and Thursday of every week, depending on where your neighborhood falls in the route rotation.

Additional Information

Containers will be scheduled for collection on Monday thru Wednesday. Contact City Hall at 704-824-3518, option 1, for your trash collection day.\

When a holiday occurs, our schedule allows us to reschedule collection during the week to ensure service. If the holiday falls on your collection day your garbage will generally be collected on the following business day.

Additional Information

The City collects regular household trash in the rollout receptables. The lid of your container must close shut and all trash must be inside the recycle.

What NOT to put in your rollout container

▪ Do not place yard waste in your container. Yard waste is recyclable and is collected by a different crew.

▪ Do not place construction, remodeling, metal or demolition debris in the container.

▪ Do not put concrete, dirt, sod, sand, plaster, hot ashes, tires, auto batteries, auto parts, chemical materials, toxic or flammable items or liquid paint in the container.

▪ Do not place dead animals in your collection container. It is unlawful to place hazardous waste in your collection container.

Additional Information

  • If your home is in a geographically low point (near a creek) or near a water pumping facility, you may experience water pressure higher than 80 psi. Unfortunately, City of Lowell can’t alleviate high water pressure, but you may consider having a licensed plumber install a pressure-reducing valve at your home.
  • County building codes require pressure-reducing valves (PRVs) to be installed on new or remodeled residential plumbing where water pressure exceeds 80 psi.
  • A PRV reduces the water pressure coming into your home, if needed, to protect your plumbing much the same way that a surge protector protects your computer or television. A licensed plumber can assess your current plumbing system and recommend whether a PRV is needed for your home.
  • A clogged aerator on a faucet can slow the flow. Remove the aerator from the faucet, clean it, and put back on.
  • Consult with a plumber.
  • If you have a pressure reducing valve (PRV) installed to protect your plumbing, it may need adjusting. Most PRVs are installed after the water meter or before the water heater. Talk to a plumber before adjusting it.
  • If your water pressure suddenly drops to almost nothing…it could be a result of a broken water line.
  • Call 704-824-3518, select option #1 for Customer Service.

Taste and odor changes in your water can occur for many reasons.

Steps to take:

  • Flush cold water out of a bathtub faucet
  • Remove and clean faucet aerators
  • Detach garden hose from outside spigot (especially during hot days)
  • Check frequently asked questions for more information
  • If odor continues, call 704-824-3518, select option #1 for Customer Service

If you experience cloudy or discolored water this could be due to air in the water line. Please follow these steps:

  • Run cold water from outdoor spigots (weather permitting)
  • Flush cold water out of a bathtub faucet
  • If not able to clear water after a few minutes, remove and clean faucet aerators
  • Check frequently asked questions for more information.
  • If discoloration continues, call 704-824-3518, and select option #1 for Customer Service.
  • If your HOT water is cloudy or discolored, you may have a water heater problem. Review owner’s manual or contact a licensed plumber for advice.
Close window