Bulk Item Pickup Schedule
The City of Lowell offers four dates each year for free bulk item/excess trash pick-up during the months of January, April, July, and October.
Upcoming 2023 Pick-Up Dates
- January 9-11
- Monday, January 9 - Households that have a Monday trash pick-up
- Tuesday, January 10 - Households that have a Tuesday trash pick-up
- Wednesday, January 11 - Households that have a Wednesday trash pick-up
- April 3-5
- Monday, April 3 - Households that have a Monday trash pick-up
- Tuesday, April 4 - Households that have a Tuesday trash pick-up
- Wednesday, April 5 - Households that have a Wednesday trash pick-up
- July 10-12
- Monday, July 10 - Households that have a Monday trash pick-up
- Tuesday, July 11 - Households that have a Tuesday trash pick-up
- Wednesday, July 12 - Households that have a Wednesday trash pick-up
- October 2-4
- Monday, October 2 - Households that have a Monday trash pick-up
- Tuesday, October 3 - Households that have a Tuesday trash pick-up
- Wednesday, October 4 - Households that have a Wednesday trash pick-up
Bulk Item Pickup Policy
Four times a year, Lowell provides free quarterly curbside collection at residential homes of items that are too large, heavy or bulky to fit in the City garbage cart for normal garbage pickup. Please keep in mind this program is intended for pick-up of customary residential items and is not intended for removal of commercial/contractor items or remnant items from home renovation projects. There will be no brush collection during free bulk item pickup dates.
Bulk is collected by the City four times a year at no additional charge during the months of January, April, July, and October.
If a customer places an item outside of his/her trash can outside of the of free quarterly bulk pick-up dates, sanitation crews will pick up the item and bill the customer as according the fee schedule.
Bulk items may be placed at the curb any time after 5 p.m. the day before your normal trash pickup day so long as they are out by 6:30 a.m. on your pickup day. Items that are placed at the curb outside of this time frame will be subject to a solid waste fine.
Place items behind the curb and away from trees, parked vehicles, mailboxes or other obstructions.
- Please DO NOT mix these items with limbs, leaves, or grass.
- Please DO NOT place any items in the street.
- Please DO NOT obstruct the sidewalk with items.
- Please DO NOT place these items on top of water meters or utility boxes.
- household furniture
- mattresses and mattress springs
- patio furniture
- swing sets
- lawn mowers (drained of gas / oil)
- bagged trash
- glass except for windows - all glass must be taped with the shape of a X
We Do Not Accept
- automobile parts or tires
- paints, liquids, or pool chemicals
- hazardous or toxic waste
- The above materials must be taken to the Gaston County Landfill located at 3155 Philadelphia Church Rd Dallas, NC 28034.
- Appliances such as:
- stoves and ovens
- refrigerators or freezers
- washers or dryers
- air conditioners
- trash compactors
- water heaters.
- North Carolina State Law now prohibits the dumping of appliances in landfills. This law also requires that businesses who sell appliances charge an appliance disposal fee to cover the cost of the appliance. Citizens are encouraged to allow the business selling the new appliance to dispose of the old one.
- E-Waste such as:
- cell phones
- Electronic waste is anything with a computer circuit board. E-waste can be taken to all of the Gaston County Convenience/Recycling Centers. For more information, please call the Gaston County Recycling Hotline at (704) 922-7729.
- Debris resulting from construction, demolition or repair such as:
- roof shingles
- The City does not collect debris resulting from construction, demolition, or home repair. It shall be the duty of the property owner or contractor to dispose of debris resulting from the construction, remodeling, demolition, or repair of buildings. No material from land clearing will be picked up by the City.
As a reminder, if you have more than a half pick-up truck load of debris that needs to be disposed of, you can request the use of the City’s loaner dump truck.
If you have any questions about your pick-up items or acceptable bulk waste quantities, please call 704-824-3518, Option #1.