Service name

Service description.


Deadline to apply is xyz.


  • x
  • y
  • z

Who can apply

  • x
  • y
  • z

Steps to apply

  • x
  • y
  • z


For questions or support, contact:

  • Phone: 555-555-5555
  • Email:

Frequently asked questions

As part of Operation Medicine Cabinet, there are various mail-box like locked boxes throughout the county that are available 24/7. There are no questions asked and instructions for disposal are located at each location.

Gaston County residents can bring household hazardous waste to the Gaston County Landfill.

Check out this article titled, The Flats Community which explains how the Flats Community came to be and where it is located.

Please call 811

What is 811?

811 is the national call-before-you-dig phone number. Anyone who plans to dig should call 811 or go to their state 811 center’s website before digging to request that the approximate location of buried utilities be marked with paint or flags so that you don’t unintentionally dig into an underground utility line.

When do I call 811?

You should call 811 or use your state 811 center’s website a few business days before you begin any digging, including common projects like planting trees and shrubs or installing fences and mailboxes. The specific amount of advance notice that you are required to provide varies by state.

What info do I need before calling 811?

You will need to know the address of where you plan to dig, including the county and nearest cross street, as well as the type of project you’re completing and the exact area on the property where you’re planning to dig. Whether you call 811 or make your request online, you’ll need the same info.

After I call 811, what do I do?

You need to wait a few days to allow utilities to respond to your request and ensure that all utilities have indeed responded to your request before breaking ground. Once all utilities have marked their buried lines, you should dig carefully around any utility marks and consider relocating projects that are close to buried utilities.

(Call 811 – Know what’s below. Call before you dig.)

Please call Gaston County Animal Control.

Phone: 704-922-8677 or 704-922-8678
Emergency: 911

George Poston Park is a county operated and maintained park. All facility questions and reservations go through Gaston County Parks and Recreation at 704-922-2161.


Harold Rankin Park athletic fields are only available to rent for team-related events. A damage deposit and certificate of liability insurance may be required. An Event Permit may be required for large events.

For availability and an application, please call 704-824-3518, option 4.

Yes! You can find the City’s upcoming community events on our events page.

You can also find events on the City’s Facebook page. 

The City of Lowell offers a competitive benefits package for full-time employees including:

  • Health, dental, and life insurance coverages
  • Employer paid short-term disability program
  • Employer contribution of 5% to the City’s 401(k) plan
  • 401(k) voluntary deferred compensation programs
  • Annual paid vacation
  • Annual paid sick leave
  • Holiday pay (12 days)
  • Professional and career development opportunities
  • Military, jury duty, funeral, and & school support paid leave
  • Coverage under the NC Retirement System pension plans
  • Education reimbursement for approved college education
  • YMCA Corporate Membership

Registration is available online. You can also sign up by making an appointment with the Parks and Recreation Department at 704-824-3518, option 4.

To report to jury duty, you will go to the Gaston County Courthouse to where the subpoena instructs you to go but usually the jury room on the 4th floor of the Gaston County Courthouse.

You can find early voting locations here.

CaroMont Regional Medical Center is located at  2525 Court Drive, Gastonia, NC 28054. CaroMont Regional Medical Center also has a hospital located in Mount Holly at 451 E. Charlotte Avenue, Mount Holly, NC 2120.

There is currently not a bus stop in the city limits of Lowell. For the nearest bus routes, please visit Gaston County ACCESS or City of Gastonia Bus Service.

Public parking is available at Lowell City Hall, Bob Bolick Park, Harold Rankin Park, next to McCord Town Center, and in marked parking spaces downtown along N. Main St, W. First St, E. First St, and W. Second St.

The Gaston County Tax Collector’s Office is responsible for collecting taxes on all taxable property located in Gaston County.

Check out our troubleshooting page for low water pressure.

After troubleshooting, if you are still having water pressure issues, please call City Hall at 704-824-3518, option 1.

Customers can start or terminate services in-person at City Hall or online.

Please visit our online bill pay page or call City Hall at 704-824-3518, option 1 for water bill information.

Services are disconnected on the 25th of the month. If the 25th falls on a holiday or weekend, then services are disconnected on the next business date. Disconnections start at 8:00 am and a $50 delinquent fee is added to all accounts delinquent at 8:00 am on the 25th of the month.

Roads inside the Lowell City limits maintained by the City of Lowell with the exception of some streets.

The following streets are maintained by the North Carolina Department of Transportation:

  • McAdenville Rd.
  • W. First St
  • E. First St from the Lowell Police Department to the Post Office
  • Groves St.
  • Lineberger Rd.
  • Oakland Dr.
  • N. Main Street
  • S. Main Street
  • S. Church Street
  • Henderson Street
  • Power Drive
  • Moose Street

Lowell provides quarterly curbside collection at residential homes of items that are too large, heavy or bulky to fit in the City garbage cart for normal garbage pickup. Please keep in mind this program is intended for pick-up of customary residential items and is not intended for removal of commercial/contractor items or remnant items from home renovation projects. There will be no brush collection during Bulk Pickup Week.

Bulk is collected by the City 4 times a year during the months of January, April, July, and October.

Click here for the 2022 schedule of collecting bulk items.

Bulk items may be placed at the curb any time after 5 p.m. the day before your normal trash pickup day so long as they are out by 6:30 a.m. on your pickup day. Items that are placed at the curb outside of this time frame will be subject to a solid waste fine.

Additional Information

The City of Lowell runs a brush route each week for leaves, grass, and tree limbs. The brush route will run on Wednesday and Thursday of each week (depending on where your neighborhood falls in the route rotation.)

  • Prepare your yard waste and place it on the curb by 6:30am on your pickup day.
  • The City will collect your yard waste between 6:30am and 3:30pm, unless unforeseeable circumstances occur.
  • The day for yard waste collection will be Wednesday and Thursday of every week, depending on where your neighborhood falls in the route rotation.

Additional Information

Containers will be scheduled for collection on Monday thru Wednesday. Contact City Hall at 704-824-3518, option 1, for your trash collection day.\

When a holiday occurs, our schedule allows us to reschedule collection during the week to ensure service. If the holiday falls on your collection day your garbage will generally be collected on the following business day.

Additional Information

The City collects regular household trash in the rollout receptables. The lid of your container must close shut and all trash must be inside the recycle.

What NOT to put in your rollout container

▪ Do not place yard waste in your container. Yard waste is recyclable and is collected by a different crew.

▪ Do not place construction, remodeling, metal or demolition debris in the container.

▪ Do not put concrete, dirt, sod, sand, plaster, hot ashes, tires, auto batteries, auto parts, chemical materials, toxic or flammable items or liquid paint in the container.

▪ Do not place dead animals in your collection container. It is unlawful to place hazardous waste in your collection container.

Additional Information

Yes, the Lowell Police Department has a certified officer trained in child safety seat checks and install.

Yes. Please call the Lowell Police Department at 704-824-8540. They will need your name, address, phone number, and emergency contact information.

The evidence and property officer works Monday thru Friday, 9am to 5pm.

If it outside of the hours 9am to 5pm, Monday thru Friday, the officers are most likely out on patrol or on a call for service. Please call Gaston County Communications at 704-866-3300 to have an officer to call you back. If it’s an emergency, dial 911.

The Lowell Police Department is open 24 hours a day 7 days a week. If no one is in the office, call Gaston County Communications at 704-866-3300.

The Lowell Police Department does not fingerprint at their office but you can go to the Gaston County Sheriff Office during business hours and they will fingerprint for a small fee.

The Gaston County Sheriff’s Office is located at 425 Dr M.L.K Jr. Way, Gastonia NC 28052. Their phone number is 704-869-6800.

You are welcome to stop by the Lowell Police Department to pick a copy up 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If no one is in the office, please call 704-866-3300 and the Gaston County Communications will have an officer to come by and get you a copy.

  • Turn off any water appliances (washing machines, dishwasher) that are on. If this stops the backup, contact a plumber.
  • If the backup continues, please call 704-824-3518, select option #1 for Customer Service.
  • If the sewage backup occurs because of a blockage in a public manhole or public sewer pipe, the City of Lowell will assist. Crews will locate and remove the blockage in the public sewer main or the City maintained portion of the customer’s connection. If the backup occurs within your home or business’s private internal plumbing, however, the City cannot assume responsibility for the blockage or the necessary repairs. Contact a plumbing contractor to make any repairs.

Backwater Valve

It is possible to prevent sewage backups with a plumbing fixture called a backwater valve. Backwater valves have been required in some homes by the North Carolina State Plumbing Code since the early 1930’s. If you have plumbing fixtures that are below the top of the first upstream manhole, state regulations require that you have a backwater valve.

To find out if your property has a backwater valve or requires one, please contact a professional plumber or contractor.

  • If your home is in a geographically low point (near a creek) or near a water pumping facility, you may experience water pressure higher than 80 psi. Unfortunately, City of Lowell can’t alleviate high water pressure, but you may consider having a licensed plumber install a pressure-reducing valve at your home.
  • County building codes require pressure-reducing valves (PRVs) to be installed on new or remodeled residential plumbing where water pressure exceeds 80 psi.
  • A PRV reduces the water pressure coming into your home, if needed, to protect your plumbing much the same way that a surge protector protects your computer or television. A licensed plumber can assess your current plumbing system and recommend whether a PRV is needed for your home.
  • A clogged aerator on a faucet can slow the flow. Remove the aerator from the faucet, clean it, and put back on.
  • Consult with a plumber.
  • If you have a pressure reducing valve (PRV) installed to protect your plumbing, it may need adjusting. Most PRVs are installed after the water meter or before the water heater. Talk to a plumber before adjusting it.
  • If your water pressure suddenly drops to almost nothing…it could be a result of a broken water line.
  • Call 704-824-3518, select option #1 for Customer Service.

Taste and odor changes in your water can occur for many reasons.

Steps to take:

  • Flush cold water out of a bathtub faucet
  • Remove and clean faucet aerators
  • Detach garden hose from outside spigot (especially during hot days)
  • Check frequently asked questions for more information
  • If odor continues, call 704-824-3518, select option #1 for Customer Service

If you experience cloudy or discolored water this could be due to air in the water line. Please follow these steps:

  • Run cold water from outdoor spigots (weather permitting)
  • Flush cold water out of a bathtub faucet
  • If not able to clear water after a few minutes, remove and clean faucet aerators
  • Check frequently asked questions for more information.
  • If discoloration continues, call 704-824-3518, and select option #1 for Customer Service.
  • If your HOT water is cloudy or discolored, you may have a water heater problem. Review owner’s manual or contact a licensed plumber for advice.

We are only allowed to unlock your vehicle if there is an animal, child, or medications inside the vehicle. For any other reasons, due to liability concerns, you’ll need to contact a locksmith for your vehicle to be unlocked.

No, we do not do building inspections. Building inspections are done by Gaston County Emergency Management. 

Yes, we do respond to certain medical calls such as CPR calls and when GEMS need our assistance.

No, the Fire Department doesn’t install car seats.

The Lowell Police Department does have a certified officer trained in child safety seat checks and install.

You can also call Safe Kids of Gaston County at 704-836-0079. Safe Kids of Gaston County installs car seats and also hosts kid safety events throughout the year.

While replacement times will vary, replacing a meter should take no longer than 10 minutes for residential meters, during which the water will be shut-off for a portion of that time. The installation crews will make every effort to keep the interruption to your service to a minimum. Commercial and industrial customers will be contacted in advance to schedule installation to minimize the disruption to their business. After the new meter has been installed, a door tag will be placed on the front door notifying customers the work has been completed.

The project is being managed by City staff.

Yes. Data transmitted from the meter through the system is encrypted through the entire process.

No. The radio transmission operates in compliance with Federal Communications Commission (FCC) regulations to avoid interference with other electronic devices.

Each radio frequency device has a unique identification number, which is transmitted along with the meter reading. The unique number is compared to your account record electronically to ensure a match.

Please, keep access to the water meter available at all times to ensure it is accessible for any potential emergency that would require the meter to be turned off. Be careful during the fall foliage season not to cover your water meter with piles of leaves.

No. Access needs to be available at all times. There will still be instances when meter technicians will visit the meter on site to perform routine maintenance or verify high readings. Obstructions to the meter box are subject to removal by City personnel.

Possibly but in most cases No. Older mechanical meters tend to lose accuracy as they age and, therefore, may not accurately measure all the water being used. The new water meter will accurately measure the water that you use. All new meters are tested prior to delivery by the manufacturer to ensure that they register properly. If you see a higher bill immediately upon the new meter installation and you have not changed your water use pattern, it is likely the old meter was running slow, or you have a minor leak in the system that wasn’t registering correctly through the old meter. The benefits of improved and more accurate usage information to the Utility and customers will reduce wasted water through the enhanced system capability to send alerts and notifications such as stopped meter, customer leak detection, and utility distribution system leak detection.

Yes. All upgraded meters have been tested and guaranteed accurate by the manufacturer, Mueller Systems, in compliance with American Water Works Association (AWWA) accuracy standards. Additionally, the design of the installation process includes a testing phase, which allows a subset of the meters to be installed and the billing software to be integrated, so the entire process, from the meter to the bill, will be tested and verified for accuracy prior to system-wide installation.

If you have a leak, low pressure, or some other problem after the installation, or at any other time, you will be provided contact numbers that you can call to report your concern. Because your water will be turned off temporarily during the meter change process, you may experience a brief period of air or discolored water. In most cases briefly running your cold water will clear up this situation.

No. Since the water meters are located outside of the home in the City right-of-way, you will not need to be home for the replacement work; however, if your water meter happens to be accessed from your back yard, we can make arrangements to schedule this work if needed. A door hanger will be placed on your front door to let you know when your meter has been replaced.

The City plans to develop an application for your smartphone or computer that will provide real-time data to the customer about their water usage. When this is developed, water customers will have the ability to access their daily water consumption online in one-hour increments. The City intends to do a public awareness notice and publish instructions for online account maintenance when complete.

No, the City pays for the costs of the meters and their installation through existing utility fees. The City has prepared for the cost of this project as part of its annual capital improvement planning process. This project does not have any impacts to the existing water and sewer rates for the City.

No. The AMI system is a budget neutral project and included in the current utility rates.

To upgrade the meter to one capable of communicating with the AMI equipment, and as an extension of an existing program to replace aging meters after they have reached the end of their life cycle. With the introduction of newer technology, the existing meters are not able to communicate using the AMI technology. The newer meters will save labor time, prevent recording errors, minimize wear and tear on vehicles, and minimize the need for City employees to access the meter pit.

All of the City’s meters will be replaced with new smart meters over a period of time.

• Improved customer service by increasing accuracy and frequency of meter readings.

• Minimized need to access meters at the property.

• Allows us to detect possible leaks daily and alert the customer immediately which can potentially save the customer from a high bill by having a leak go undetected for a month like the current system.

Advanced meter systems are quickly becoming the standard for utilities around the country. These new devices allow for more accurate and faster collection of water usage readings than the current manual method and improve safety conditions for City staff. Currently, the meter readers must open every meter box to obtain a reading from the meter. Introducing automatic meter reading as the standard for Lowell is one of the ways we can better serve our customers and improve the overall efficiency of the utility department.

The new meters can provide hourly readings during each billing cycle rather than 1 read every 30 days with the existing system. This detailed usage can enable the City to automate its meter reading process, provide improved customer service through data access, reduce leaks to promote resource conservation, and improve Utility operational efficiencies by capturing real-time meter reading data.

The City of Lowell has chosen a fixed based network that provides two-way communication from the meter box to strategically located Base Stations. The City is replacing water meters throughout Lowell with new meters equipped with a meter transceiver. The meter transceiver is used to collect and transmit meter reading data, unique identification numbers, operating status, and various alarms at regular intervals to the Base Stations.

AMI stands for Advanced Metering Infrastructure. It is a method of using communication technology to read meters remotely without having to access the meter located in meter boxes in the ground.

Lowell Parks and Recreation hosts quarterly lunches for senior citizens. They also hold an Adult Recess once a year where seniors can learn how to play popular games among seniors such as chair volleyball and pickleball. Seniors can get information on signing up for the Gaston County Senior Games.

No, alcohol is not allowed at the Community Center, City parks, or on any City-owned property.

No, bounce houses are not allowed. For a complete list of facility rules, please visit our Facility Rules page.

Yes, for availability on the Harold Rankin Park Picnic Shelter, please call City Hall between the hours of 8:30am and 5:00pm, Monday thru Friday. Once we confirm your requested date is available, you can stop by City Hall to fill out an application and pay the rental fee.

Currently, the Lowell Community Center is closed for renovations but as soon as our renovations are complete, we will open the facility back up for rentals.

Yes, we offer baseball during the spring, soccer during the fall, and basketball during the winter. Check out our Athletic Programs page for more information on registration dates and other important information.

Please call City Hall at 704-824-3518, option 1.

These materials must be taken to the Gaston County Landfill located at 3155 Philadelphia Church Rd Dallas, NC 28034.

Please email or call the City’s Planning Director at 704-824-3518, option 3.

Please call the Parks and Recreation Department at 704-824-3518, option 4. Alternatively, you can also contact Customer Service at Lowell City Hall at 704-824-3518, option 1.

Please call 704-866-3300 and Gaston County Communications will have an officer to come by.

You can stop by the Lowell Police Department anytime to speak with an officer. If an officer is not in, please call 704-866-3300 and the Gaston County Communications will have an officer to come by to file a report.

What can I recycle?

  • Food and Beverage Cans
  • Plastic Containers
  • Paper
  • Food and Beverage Cartons
  • Flattened Cardboard and Paperboard
  • Glass Bottles and Containers
  • Plastic Bottles (please separate cap from bottle)

What Can I NOT Recycle?

  • Pizza Boxes
  • Food Waste
  • Liquids
  • Foam Cups and Containers
  • Plastic Bags and Film
  • Needles
  • Textile Bedding and Carpets
  • Electronics and Appliances

Please visit our Recycling Page for additional information.

Please email or call the City’s Planning Director at 704-824-3518, option 3.

No, but Zoning approval is required for businesses.

The Gaston County Tax Collector’s Office is responsible for collecting taxes on all taxable property located in Gaston County.

Close window