City of Lowell Secures First Indoor Recreation Facility With CIF and ARPA Funds

Posted on November 1, 2023

November 1, 2023 



LOWELL, N.C. – The City of Lowell is excited to announce a major milestone in the city’s ongoing efforts to enhance recreational opportunities for all ages and foster a healthier, more vibrant city. The City of Lowell is currently under contract with the Salvation Army Boys & Girls Club, who closed its doors at the end of Summer 2023 after moving its operations to their Union Road location. The purchase will secure the City’s first indoor recreation facility through the American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) funds and the City’s Community Investment Fund (CIF.)  

The ARPA funds have been provided by the federal government to aid in the recovery and revitalization of local communities impacted by COVID-19 pandemic. The City’s CIF Fund was created earlier this year to help reach the goals of the Lowell City Council’s Strategic Vision. With the purchase of this facility, these two funds will be instrumental in advancing the Lowell City Council’s Strategic Vision to develop and update public facilities as well as enhance multi-generational Parks and Recreation activities.

The City worked diligently to ensure that the allocation of the CIF and the ARPA funds was in line with the community’s needs. The acquisition of this recreation facility ties back to the 2021-2022 Parks and Recreation Comprehensive Master Plan and Needs Assessment Study where an indoor recreation facility was determined to be high priority need by the community.  

The City will be purchasing the facility for $500,000; 98.9% of the facility purchase will be paid with ARPA funds with the remaining 1.1% coming from the CIF.  

The 10,664 square foot building was built in 1973. The building has an indoor basketball gym, restrooms, and multiple rooms that could be used for a combination of staff offices and facility programming space.  

The new facility will house the City’s Parks and Recreation Department, which consists of one full-time Director, one part-time Athletics Supervisor, and one part-time Maintenance Technician. 

The City is currently in conversations with the Gaston County YMCA about a potential partnership to help the City expand program offerings to the community. 

The facility is located at 715 N. Main Street in Lowell, NC within the same block of the City-owned Harold Rankin Park. Harold Rankin Park will soon be going through a revitalization project as the City was awarded a combined $1,000,000 from the North Carolina Parks and Recreation Trust Fund and the Land and Water Conservation Fund.  

The City will be working with an architectural firm on a facility needs study and the facility will be renovated before it opens to the public. The City will then host an open house once the new recreation facility is open, providing an opportunity for residents to explore the amenities and learn more about the programs and services that will be offered. 

Contact: Scott Attaway, City Manager, 704-824-3518; 



Close window